Friday, June 17, 2016

Jupiter in the Lion's Den

Jupiter is just such a fun, friendly target. Big, bright, and dynamic it is a consistent performer. For me from the vantage point of my driveway this apparition amid the stars of Leo is fast running its course - the giant planet will soon be lost in the neighbor's oak by the time it emerges in the twilight.
So after my successful Mars imaging the next clear night I opted to try to grab a session with Jupiter. And it did not disappoint - right there lining up for a transit was the Great Red Spot! It probably transited around 9:31 pm EDT on the evening of June 14th, which interestingly was off compared to the one on-line prediction I could find (what's up S&T - why did you ditch your calculator?)
I also did a little eye time after the videography. The spot was pretty dark, a bit more red than in prior years. But for certain it has shrunk - it's clearly evident compared to how it looked a decade ago. Will it still be there in another 30 years? Hopefully the arrival of Juno soon will shed some light on the dynamics of this long lived Jovian storm.
Jupiter June 14, 2016 9:30 EDT

No comments: